Sunday, June 29, 2014

God Blessed My Yard Sale

"A generous man will prosper, he who refreshes others will himself be refreshed."
Proverbs 11:25

     I sought the Lord's opinion before I had a yard sale. The last time I hosted such a sale, I said I'd never have another, but I wanted to pare down my possessions. A verse I read in Luke said, "Sell your possessions and give to the poor" so I priced my stuff and set it out on the front lawn, telling all visitors that the proceeds were to be given to Samaritan's Purse.

     I am pleased to say many people gave more than was asked. By mid-afternoon, we were going to box up what didn't sell and take it to a drop-off place. Just that moment, two women pulled up to shop. When I described what was happening, they said, "We are from Lake Shore Assembly of God church and we collect items to give to the less fortunate." With renewed zest, I happily packed up what I had and filled their car. They were thanking me, but it was I who felt refreshed.

     As the ladies formed a circle with us for prayer, right there in the yard, I felt the radiant face of God smiling down on me. It's amazing what can happen when you invite God to your event! I met nice people all day long and sent a check to my favorite charity.

     Maybe I'll host another sale some day.

No comments:

Post a Comment