Wednesday, March 12, 2014

What's the Forecast?

"Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand."
Ephesians 6:13

     When the phone rang at an early hour to say that school was closed due to inclement weather, I was bewildered as I looked outside yet saw no snow or ice. However, the superintendent was wise in this decision after he heeded the forecast.

     It is important to dress appropriately for the various elements. Our bodies are vulnerable without protection, so if the forecast is ten degrees with a negative windchill, it would be foolhardy to go out in a denim jacket. Or, if it's ninety in the shade, will thermal underwear do? Of course not.

     The above verse forecasts a day of evil is coming our way. What can protect us?

  1. The Truth. Seek it, know it, act on it. Do not listen to the father of liars, who is Satan. Jesus is the Way, the Truth and the Life. Listen to him.
  2. The breastplate of righteousness will protect my most vital organs. How? By living in a right relationship with God, everything I do is in proper alignment because I then live to please him.
  3. The Gospel of Peace. The Bible tells me that, as far as it is up to me, live at peace with everyone. Do my part to get along.
  4. The shield of faith. I can use it to extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one (Ephesians 6:16) because faith is being certain of what I do not see, sure of what I hope for (Hebrews 11:1). The Holy Spirit helps me to believe God's promises.
  5. Salvation I wear as a helmet so when the accuser tries to crush me, I stand firm at the foot of the cross, awash in the blood of the Lamb. There is power in the blood!
  6. My sword is the Word of God. Write it on the tablet of my heart. Always be prepared to give an answer for my beliefs. Jesus used scripture to combat temptations; so shall I.
  7. Prayer. "Be alert and always keep on praying for the saints."(Eph. 6:18) I am not in this battle alone. I have a direct line to God with Jesus as my divine intercessor. I have a family of fellow believers who will pray with me or for me at any time, placing a hedge of protection around me. Jesus promised that where two or three are gathered together in his name, he is there too.
A day of evil has been forecast but we need not live in fear. Dress appropriately and follow the directives of your Commanding Officer, who is Jesus. 

No comments:

Post a Comment