Sunday, March 2, 2014

The Power of Being a Christian Parent

"His sons used to take turns holding feasts in their homes, and they would invite their three sisters to eat and drink with them. When a period of feasting had runs its course, Job would send and have them purified. Early in the morning, he would sacrifice a burnt offering for each of them, thinking, 'Perhaps my children have sinned and cursed God in their hearts.' This was Job's regular custom."
Job 1: 4 & 5

     Job was described as being a blameless, upright man who feared God and shunned evil. A wealthy man, he had ten children, many servants and animals and was "the greatest man among all the people of the East." (Job 1:3)

     It would be tempting, in Job's position, to become cocky and complacent, but he is so vigilant that he continues to plead to God on behalf of his kids, even after they have moved into their own homes.

     A lesson for me, as a parent, is evident here. I do pray for my daughters, but I need to specifically ask God to purify them, forgive them if they have wronged him in their hearts. I could get up early each morning, remembering the ultimate sacrifice Jesus made for all people, thereby demonstrating to Him how much their righteousness means to me, their mother.

No comments:

Post a Comment