Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Victory In Jesus

"But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people belonging to God, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light."
1Peter 2:9

     My 89 year old father has dementia. He is slow of step, his eyes are weak, he cannot hear well and he is confused about many things but he is a part of the royal priesthood, a citizen of a holy nation who has been chosen to walk in His wonderful light. To look at him in his flannel pants and his silly stocking cap, he seems like just an aged, ordinary man, but when I tucked him into bed last night (after convincing him that it was indeed nighttime), I asked him what he wanted to pray about. Without hesitation, he declared, "I'm glad I know Him. When I was in the War, I didn't know him then, but He knew me."

     With that declaration, the flannel pants transformed into the regal robe of Christ. The walker by the bedside became a scepter and the stocking cap, a crown. Recognized by God as his dear son, a joint heir with Christ, my father sings his praises in the wonderful light of grace.

     Dementia can't touch that! Hallelujah!

No comments:

Post a Comment