Wednesday, November 13, 2013

The First Murder

"Sin is crouching at your door; it desires to have you, but you must master it." Genesis 4:7

"Then the Lord said to Cain, 'Where is your brother, Abel?'" verse 9

"Cain said to the Lord, 'My punishment is more that I can bear. Today you are driving me from the land and I will be hidden from your presence; I will be a restless wanderer on the earth and whoever finds me will kill me.'" vs. 13, 14

"But the Lord said to Cain, 'Not so, if anyone kills you, he will suffer vengeance seven times over." vs 15

     The Lord's kindness and justice are so strongly evident in this story of the first murder. First, God warned Cain that something bad could happen if he didn't get a handle on his anger. Then, after Cain had killed his brother, God gave him a chance to confess his sin, but he lied. Still, after doling out his punishment, God showed love and mercy by placing a mark on Cain so no one would kill him.

     Cain still had to pay consequences for his sin, but God was watching over him. The same holds true for us. We have all sinned and fallen short of the glory of God, but, while we were yet sinners, Christ laid down his life willingly for us. He became sin so that we could have eternal life. Thanks and praise belong to him!

No comments:

Post a Comment