Sunday, October 20, 2013

Read the Last Chapter First

"He will wipe away every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away."
Revelation 21:4

     I am not well known for my patience. I wear new clothes right away. I give presents away without holding on to them until Christmas. I don't buy subscriptions ahead of time because I don't know how long I'll be around. I don't like to set goals and patiently plod along until I achieve them. I live for today because it is all I have.

     When I am getting acquainted with a new book, I read the jacket, check for photographs, peruse the author's bio, then I often read the last chapter first. I don't like to wait and see how things are going to be. Will this character die? Will the two romantic figures get married? I want to know more about it before I invest a lot of time into what could be a boring read.

     As a Christian, I can eagerly read the Bible because I've read the last chapter! The most blessed hope is waiting like a crown of righteousness at the end of this crazy life. Like Mary and Martha, I cry in sorrow at the death of a loved one, but that's back in chapter four (or whatever)! Keep on reading. Lazarus, the gals' brother who's been dead in the tomb four days, is ordered to come on out of there by Jesus - and he does! We who place our trust in this same Jesus can live as optimists because we know how the story ends. I will hear his voice commanding, "Rachel, come out!" and I will cast off my casket and step into the light.

      "Oh, death where is thy sting? Oh, grave where is thy victory?" The destruction, decay and disaster that disease and death bring are all part of that "old order of things" that will pass away. Read it again: "NO MORE DEATH"!

     Now that's something I can wait for.

No comments:

Post a Comment