Sunday, October 27, 2013

Love The Giver More Than the Gift

"You may say to yourself, 'My power and the strength of my hands produced this wealth for me.' But remember the Lord your God, for it is he who gives you the ability to produce wealth."
Deuteronomy 8: 17 and 18

     It comforts me to look around my home and see gifts others have given me. There is a green glass vase from my sister on the table. I smell the pumpkin spice candle from my daughter. The silver teapot from my mom gleams from the china cabinet. The items themselves, though lovely, are just things. What they represent is the love of the givers. When I give gifts, I hope the recipient knows how much I care for them, regardless of the cost of the gift.

     Last night, God bestowed me with a gorgeous, changeable sky. Over to the north were cumulus clouds boasting shades of grey, orange and purple. To the south, the sun's striations of color cut through banks of rain. Rumbles of thunder caused me to look west at more beauty. I could just imagine God's expectant face as I unwrapped this gift: "Well, do you like it, Rachel?"

     Every day, God's generosity is evident to all, no matter what language they speak or what belief they have. He sends rain to the just and the unjust. Remember, when you unwrap the latest treasure, to love the Giver more than the gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment