Sunday, May 19, 2013

The Feminine Side of God

"So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them."
Genesis 1:27

     While studying the delicate pink blossoms of a graceful tree in bloom, it occurred to me that our Creator has a feminine side. When I mentioned that to my husband, he thought it odd, but I rejoiced in it. Most men, if they were asked to create a tree, would stick to the basics: practical, servicable, of staid color and function. Men do not likely lean toward froo-froo. After all, of what use is a pink blossom?
     When I was a teen, attending Bible classes, it irritated me that women were seen as second-class citizens who were only created for man's use and forever marred because Eve ate the fruit first. Given enough time, I reasoned, Adam would have eaten of it without any help. Paul's words in 1 Corinthians 14:34 galled me: "Women should remain silent in the churches. They are not allowed to speak but must be in submission, as the Law says." But then, I read of Jesus speaking to the Samaritan woman at the well. How daring! A Jewish man was forbidden to speak to a woman alone, especially a despised Samaritan! But, he saw something in her soul, a yearning for the Messiah who would come and explain everything. Her witness to the townspeople brought many to Christ. Good thing she did not remain silent.
     Galatians 3:28 says: "There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus." In God's image, male AND female were created and we are all ONE in Christ.
     Yesterday, I attended a mother-daughter banquet at a church. The theme was vintage fashion and we were asked to wear hats. What fun! Some ladies wore jewelry or nail polish, others wore dresses and lipstick. Dainty food was served in tiny dishes and we nibbled on butter cookies shaped like tea pots. We sang the Doxology in praise to our King, thanking him for making us his royal daughters.
     I'd like to think that, just like the pink trees, God enjoys the feminine, delicate offerings that women bring to life.  In his kingdom, I now know, there are no second-class citizens for "everything comes from God." (1 Corinthians 11:12)

No comments:

Post a Comment