Monday, August 21, 2023

What a Friend I Have in Jesus

 "There is a friend who sticks closer than a brother." Proverbs 18:24

    Travel back with me to 1966 as I recall my first day of school, a place I did not want to go. In fact, I remember my mother having to forcibly take me by the arm and place me in the building. This intrusion into my idyllic days, which had been spent with my beautiful and loving mother thus far, was akin to being deposited into a displaced persons camp. The teacher was ferocious, mean-spirited and yellow-toothed, not unlike Godzilla.

    I missed my mother. When the bell finally announced the day's end, I ran with winged feet to be home at last, where I knew I was loved. The reverberations of that separation from my loved one is still felt all these years later.  

    I am still a homebody, but the very best part of my life is my best friend who sticks closer to me than any other: Jesus. There are no separations between us. He promised to never leave me nor forsake me (Hebrews 13:5) and no Godzillas can ever sever our relationship (Romans 8: 38, 39). Since He dwells within my heart, I take Him with me wherever I go - even into eternity. Home at last.

"Surely, I am with you always, to the very end of the age." Matthew 28:20

"I give them eternal life and they shall never perish; no one can snatch them out of my hand." John 10:28 

"Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9

 

No comments:

Post a Comment