Thursday, August 24, 2023

A Home for Hobo

 "I tell you that in the same way there will be more rejoicing in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who do not need to repent." Luke 15: 7

    For a few years, a stray cat in our neighborhood endeared himself to several of us. A gray and white male, he looked just like the scruffy feline in those Tom and Jerry cartoons. We all dubbed him differently; one called him Kit Kat, another Mittens. Dave and I called him Hobo. It was a delight to see him trotting across the yard as he made his rounds for handouts. Though we all liked him, none of us were able to adopt him for various reasons, although one lady let him sleep in her car.

    When a week passed and I hadn't seen Hobo, I became concerned so I walked around the block to investigate, hoping it wasn't bad news. When my neighbor told me the mailman had adopted the cat, I beamed broadly as I made my way home to tell my husband. Though we missed seeing him, my heart rejoiced that he had a real home now where he had been adopted as part of the family. He is loved.

    If we, flawed humans that we are, care so deeply about the well-being of a stray cat, how much more does our heavenly Father long for us to come home?

    In the parable of the Prodigal Son (Luke 15: 11-32), the father scanned the horizon, watching for his lost son to return home. After the young man had had enough of tramping about, the bible says he "came to his senses" and returned to his father. 

    The older man, when he saw the familiar form of his boy still a long way off, girded his garments and ran to greet him, filled with compassion. 

    When we finally tire of doing things our own way, going house to house searching for love, fulfillment, happiness or truth, all we have to do is head home. Our Father is waiting for us.

"Jesus replied, 'Anyone who loves me will obey my teaching. My Father will love them, and we will come to them and make our home with them." John 14:23

    

No comments:

Post a Comment