Friday, August 11, 2023

The Cinderella Story

 "He has sent me to...bestow on them a crown of beauty instead of ashes, the oil of joy instead of mourning and the garment of praise instead of a spirit of despair." Isaiah 61:3

    A friend of mine shared photographs of her daughter's splendid wedding, which took place in a castle in Scotland. As I viewed the images of radiant happiness dressed in celebratory garments in a breathtaking setting, the best adjective that came to mind to aptly describe the occasion was "fairytale." The sun shone in stained-glass array, kissing the happy couple who exchanged holy vows in the castle's chapel, before proceeding to pose for photographs on verdant hills of pastures green.

    As I beheld the bride's radiance, my heart imagined the glorious sights we will see at the marriage supper of the Lamb. If, on earth, a wedding could be so beautiful, how much more will our Bridegroom prepare for us? "In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.  And if I go and prepare a place for you , I will come again, and receive you unto Myself, that where I am, there ye may be also." (John 14: 2, 3)

    Coming to Christ is the ultimate rags-to-riches story. Thoughts of Cinderella came to mind so I studied the origin of this fairytale. I had only known of the Disney film, so I was surprised to read there are thousands of variations of this tale throughout the world, which bears the basic message of a young woman living in forsaken circumstances, who experiences a sudden change in her life. She ascends to the throne via a marriage to a noble prince, who sought for her and raised her up from the cinders, crowning her with honor before her enemies. "Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies. Thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over." (Psalm 23:5)

    Having been born into the poverty of a broken world, we all begin in forsaken circumstances -separated from God and dead in our sins. Labor though we might, we cannot cleanse ourselves of the ashes that stain, nor can we free ourselves from the bondage we are in. We need a Prince. Only Jesus Christ, the King of Kings, whose kingdom shall never end, could save us by His sacrificial death on the cross. Only He could disentangle us from the cords of death, when He awoke the Victor, and strode from the garden tomb. 

    This is no tall tale. There is no fairy godmother waving a wand, providing the clothing we need to attend the ball. Far better than fantasy is this reality: Greater love has no one than the One who laid down His life for us, while we were smeared with soot, cleanses us with His blood and arrays us with His righteous robe. The scepter has been extended and, with confidence, we can approach the throne room of God as the bride of Christ. The glass slipper fits!

"I delight greatly in the Lord; my soul rejoices in my God. For He has clothed me with garments of salvation and arrayed me in a robe of righteousness, as a bridegroom adorns his head like a priest, and a bride adorns herself with her jewels." Isaiah 61:10

"You will be a crown of splendor in the Lord's hand, a royal diadem in the hand of your God...As a young man marries a young woman, so will your Builder marry you; as a bridegroom rejoices over his bride, so will your God rejoice over you." Isaiah 62:3, 5

No comments:

Post a Comment