Saturday, August 26, 2023

God or Google?

 "Who is like you, Lord God Almighty? You, Lord, are mighty, and your faithfulness surrounds you. You rule over the surging sea; when its waves mount up, you still them...The heavens are yours, and yours also the earth; you founded the world and all that is in it." Psalm 89: 8, 9, 11

    The lightning and thunder were relentless. Sleep was sketchy, but when the tornado siren went off at midnight, we were wide awake and heading to the basement. Though we had brought our phones with us, there was no internet to search for the answers our worried minds craved. 

    In our need-to-know culture, we have come to rely on these devices as if they were crystal balls. In reality, at that crucial moment in the midst of a storm, I realized as I fiddled with my phone that I had an idol in my hand. That's when I took my husband's hand in mine and began to pray.

    The turmoil outdoors remained, but the peace of God ruled my heart as I quoted verses from memory and called upon our Father. 

    We prayed for David's 96-year-old mother, who lived alone a mile away. We asked God to protect our daughter in the next town. We even gave Him charge over our cat, Kiwi, who was outside, of all places. It felt so good to cast all of these cares over to the One who is in control.

    Then we heard a loud noise that rocked the house. What was that? Upon investigation, our huge tulip tree had lost a sizable limb, but we were so thankful it didn't hit the house or pull down the nearby wires. It was as if the Hand of God guided it down, causing no damage. 

    Indeed, the next day we learned a tornado had touched down not far from us, with winds clocking 110 mph. I never thought I'd see the day, since we don't live in a tornado-prone area, but the plans of the Lord no one can thwart (Job 42:2). He will do as He wishes. (Please pause to pray for all those who have sustained tornado damage in Mentor.)

    I learned a very valuable truth that night: "You shall not make for yourself an idol in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below." (Exodus 20:4) My phone is a handy tool, but it should never replace the wisdom of God. "Look to the Lord and His strength; seek His face always." (Psalm 105:4)

"Who shapes a god and casts an idol, which can profit him nothing? He prays to it and says, 'Save me; you are my god.' They know nothing, they understand nothing; their eyes are plastered over so they cannot see, and their minds are closed so they cannot understand. No one stops to think, no one has the knowledge or the understanding to say...'Is not this thing in my right hand a lie?'" Isaiah 44: 17-20

    

No comments:

Post a Comment