Wednesday, August 30, 2023

Pass the Febreze Please

 "Your love has given me great joy and encouragement, because you, brother, have refreshed the hearts of the Lord's people." Philemon 1:7

    Allow me to be candid: I have an odor problem. I stink. 

    As the scriptures are designed to do, when I read the above verse, the Word of God "judged the thoughts and attitudes of my heart." (Hebrews 4:12) What joy Philemon must have felt when the great Apostle Paul commended him for having refreshed the hearts of the Lord's people! The Christ-like impression he made has been appreciated by bible students around the world for centuries.

    The beginning of the school year means that I have returned to work following a fantastic summer. Naturally, my acquaintances inquire if I have yet resumed work and, if so, how is it going? In response, I always grumble. Like the grouchy children of Israel in their 40-years of wilderness wandering, I grouse about my daily "manna," pining to retire. 

    Is this pleasing to God? Do my words waft a stench into the conversations of my well-meaning friends? As a temple of the Holy Spirit, should I not be refreshing others, choosing words of salt and grace? 

    The bible tells me how displeased the Lord was when the Israelites crabbed about everything instead of being grateful for the wonderful way He took care of them. Their daily bread came from heaven. Quails just plopped into their laps. Their clothes and shoes never wore out. As juvenile as they sound to me, I am no better.

    This morning, I resolved to repent of my ways, asking God to forgive me. As soon as I got to work, I noticed for the first time how pretty were the trees in front of the school. Once inside, I made an honest effort to speak kindly, smile more often and look for the good in others. Though my desire was to emulate Philemon, I found that I refreshed myself in the process! 

    God, help me to smell like Jesus so that, when I leave a room, my listeners desire to know the Source of my scent.

"For we are to God the pleasing aroma of Christ among those who are being saved and those who are perishing." 2 Corinthians 2:15    

No comments:

Post a Comment