Sunday, September 5, 2021

How to be a Pray-er

"I cry aloud to the Lord; I lift my voice to the Lord for mercy. I pour out before him my complaint; before Him, I tell my trouble." Psalm 142: 1, 2

    Prayer is hard work. Often it seems like a one-way conversation which takes time, planning and a certain methodology. Should I go in my room, close the door and kneel by the bed? It's been said that I should first properly address God in reverence and fear, then pray for the needs of others before getting around to myself. Though I am sure there's truth in these, maybe I'm overthinking it as well.

    A Christian friend of mine is a prayer warrior so I asked her, "What's the secret to being a pray-er?" Her response was simple and candid: "I just talk to Him."

    This brought to mind the words of a Johnny Cash song, "I talk to Jesus Every Day." 

"Well you talk about important people that you say you know,

Presidents and superstars of big television shows.

Well, I know Someone personally who's bigger than 'em all,

And, next to Him, your superstars look mighty small.

I have a talk with Him each day,

And He's interested in every word I say.

No secretary ever tells me He's been called away.

I talk to Jesus every day." 

       In a day when robots answer phones and Alexa talks back to people, isn't it so refreshing to banter with the Creator of the Universe? If I could travel back in time to take part in a Bible story, I'd love to be one of those guys on the road to Emmaus, when the resurrected Jesus covertly sidled up to them, asking questions and listening to their tale before explaining everything in the Scriptures, beginning with Moses and all the prophets (Luke 24:13-35). Just walking along, talking. 

    That's what prayer is all about.

"Now that same day two of them were going to a village called Emmaus, about seven miles from Jerusalem. They were talking with each other about everything that had happened. As they talked and discussed these things with each other, Jesus himself came up and walked with them; but they were kept from recognizing him." Luke 24:13-16

No comments:

Post a Comment