Thursday, September 16, 2021

In My Back Yard

"What good is it, my brothers, if a man claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such a faith save him? Suppose a brother or a sister is without clothes and daily food. If one of you says to him, 'Go, I wish you well; keep warm and well fed,' but does nothing about his physical needs, what good is it? In the same way, faith by itself, if not accompanied by action, is dead." James 2: 14-17

    Like a runaway kite, a bit of news landed in my own back yard. When I read a newspaper story about a ministry located a mile within my home who is preparing to house and care for twenty-five Afghan refugees, I paused to ponder that. 

    Of course, I had heard of the catastrophic collapse of the government in Afghanistan (a chill should run down every spine at the thought of anyone in the hands of the vile Taliban); such a thing could indeed happen to Americans one day. I was especially touched by the love shown by the Christ Kingdom Ministry, who are the Good Samaritans in this story. They are backing their faith with action, demonstrating the love of Christ.

    An argument can be made that we, as Americans, should take care of our own first after securing our borders, and there is merit to that. But, as Christians, love has no borders. 

    Recently, I'd listened to a radio broadcast about a Muslim woman whose faith in Islam, with its rules and rigid expectations, left her feeling as an empty vessel. She declared the Quran makes no mention of love from Allah. Can you imagine? It was the bottomless love of Jesus that won her heart to Christianity. May the same hold true for these refugees in my neighborhood.

    News stories can seem distant and irrelevant, but when they land in your own back yard, may we be prepared to share the love of Christ with anyone in need, as God has commanded us to do. There is no pit so deep that God's love is not deeper still.

"And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the saints, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge - that you may be filled to the measure with all the fullness of God." Ephesians 3:17-19

 

No comments:

Post a Comment