Tuesday, August 31, 2021

When the Journey is Too Much for You

 "Elijah was afraid and ran for his life. `When he came to Beersheba in Judah, he left his servant there, while he himself went a day's journey into the wilderness. He came to a broom bush, sat down under it and prayed that he might die. 'I have had enough, Lord,' he said. 'Take my life; I am no better than my ancestors.' Then he lay down under the bush and fell asleep."                       1 Kings 19:3-5

    Because it seems like the talking heads in the news always exude a confident air, I was taken aback to read a recent column by the syndicated political commentator, S. E. Cupp, whose opening statement declared, "Never, in 25 years of writing, has a blank page felt so intimidating." 

    Intrigued, I wondered the cause of her writer's block. She went on to explain that, though there's been no shortage of news worth covering, she "hasn't been able to read or watch any of them without spiraling into an uncontrollable sense of panic and fear." I read on. When she admitted to being stuck in a "deep black hole of anxiety," which she attributed to the "perfect storm of pandemic, politics and problems," I felt a kindred spirit. That's how I feel.

    In an online bio, I learned Ms. Cupp is an atheist. While she and I are experiencing similar reactions to the realities surrounding us, she has no faith in God to see her through. Admittingly, Christians have their Elijah moments when crashing beneath a broom bush in a depressed heap seems preferable to maintaining functionality, but it's the Savior of Calvary who beckons us to pick up our cross daily and follow Him. He leads by example, having walked the walk Himself. 

    When the journey became too much for Elijah, the angel of the Lord ministered to him. I know that He, who promised to be with me to the end of the age, will take care of me, too. 

   But what of Ms. Cupp? Within the same bio I had read, she sounded like a lost sheep when she said, "I really aspire to be a person of faith someday." Please join me in praying for her, that she may open her heart to the Good Shepherd.

"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all." 2 Corinthians 4: 16, 17 

     

No comments:

Post a Comment