Saturday, September 25, 2021

My Epitaph

 "You yourselves are our letter, written on our hearts, known and read by everyone. You show that you are a letter from Christ, the result of our ministry, written not with ink but with the Spirit of the living God, not on tablets of stone, but on tablets of human hearts." 2 Corinthians 3: 2,3

    My grandmother, Harmony Schupp, was a prolific poet. She left behind three binders of poems, many of which she shared each week in her company newsletter when she worked for Ohio Rubber. A slim volume of favorites was published into a book entitled, "Harmony in Verse." Etched on her tombstone is a depiction of this book, a tribute to her legacy.

    The definition of the word "epitaph" is twofold. It is either an inscription in memory of the deceased on their gravestone or it's a brief statement epitomizing the person. Have you ever pondered what your epitaph will be? 

    Like my grandma, I love to write so I was tickled to purchase a T shirt that declares, "God is not done with my story." Maybe that's a great epitaph for me. Death is not the period marking the conclusion of life; rather, it's a semicolon linking the two clauses that are closely related. The climax of my story is yet to come!

    Like my grandma's dear volume of poems, I wish to leave some evidence of my existence. As a writer, I leave words on a page (or computer screen) to hopefully become etched on the hearts of those who read them, words not from my mouth, but those of God. When the power of God's living word transforms lives for all eternity, time extends beyond the grave. As my legacy, I'd love nothing better than the beautiful assurance that hearts have been given to Jesus, our Savior. 

"For the word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitude of the heart." Hebrews 4:12

"For I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God that brings salvation to everyone who believes: first to the Jew, then to the Gentile." Romans 1: 16

No comments:

Post a Comment