Saturday, March 27, 2021

First and Only Responder

 "For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, that whosoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through Him." John 3: 16, 17

    An Alan Jackson song asks the question, "Where were you when the world stopped turning that September day?" I was at Lathrop Elementary School, attending to my office duties, when the clouds gathered on that sunny day as the grim news unfolded. We were told to keep a stiff upper lip for the sake of the children, but when I got home, I crumbled on the living room floor, prostrate in grief before the Lord. Many of us recall the horrific scenes in New York City as the frightened victims ran from the fortresses of steel as the first responders sped toward them, without knowledge of their fate. 

    Metaphorically, the bulwarks of our country are being destroyed by the enemy of us all: Satan. His trademark stench wafts from new areas of corruption each day. Disease and death, lies and deceit, denial of truth and a tearing down of the most basic foundations of life go from bad to worse. I feel like those who ran from the scene, a ghostly figure covered in the white soot of destruction with a weariness of soul. Akin to those with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, I feel a deep need to grieve.

    I got to wondering why Jesus would want to come down here. From what I've heard of the heavenly realms, He had to have been very comfy on His throne. Yet, He got his gear on and headed to the disaster. As He faced the agonies of the cross, the sheep scattered and the Father forsook Him as Satan snickered, yet He'd gotten the job done as He declared, "It is finished." Of all the religions in the world, only Jesus came down here because that's what Saviors do. They respond.

    "What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body that is subject to death? Thanks be to God who delivers me through Jesus Christ our Lord! (Romans 7: 24, 25 

No comments:

Post a Comment