Friday, March 19, 2021

Daily Bread and Cereal

 "But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well." Matthew 6:33

    When I was a kid, I couldn't wait to eat breakfast. Cap'n Crunch was my favorite cereal. If the box promised a toy, my mom would make my sisters and me wait to open the new box until we ate the old cereal first. What an interminable wait! When I enclosed my realm at the table with a fence of cereal boxes, I truly felt powerful, as if I had my own house. Breakfast as an adult is not nearly as exciting (or sugary!), but I still start my day off right.

    More important than the vittles is the daily bread I consume from my Bible. I once read about a devoted believer who began each day reading the entire Sermon on the Mount, as found in Matthew chapters five, six and seven. Just sample these delicious morsels and you will agree they are "part of a nutritious breakfast."

  • you are the salt of the earth and the light of the world
  • if you are on the outs with someone, go and be reconciled to that person
  • even looking lustfully at another is adulterous
  • give to anyone who asks of you
  • pray for those who persecute you
  • turn the other cheek
  • give to the needy without pomp; do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing
  • forgive as the Lord forgave you
  • the Lord's Prayer
  • where your treasure is, there your heart will be also
  • do not judge others; remove the log from your own eye before you help someone with a speck
  • seek and you shall find; knock and the door shall be opened unto you
  • do not worry about tomorrow
  • enter through the narrow gate; wide is the road which leads to hell
  • beware of false prophets
  • the foolish man built his house upon the sand
    Adolph Hitler was quoted as saying, "The Sermon on the Mount is for idiots." That should make us love and treasure these words of life all the more! Start your day off right!

"Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled." 
Matthew 5:6

No comments:

Post a Comment