Saturday, March 20, 2021

A Visit From the King

"'For I am a great king,' says the Lord Almighty, 'and I am to be feared among the nations.'" Malachi 1: 14b

    Last night, I was watching the Downton Abbey movie. The residents and servants of the palatial home were all in a tither because the King and Queen of England were to pay a visit. Upon the news of the coming monarchs, everyone got busy cleaning, polishing, planning and practicing their curtsies. Emotions ran at a fever pitch so, when the wine steward showed a bit too much of his humanity by what he said, a dropped pin could have been heard as all eyes focused on the king. Was he offended? There was much bowing and scraping.

    I wonder how much effort, emotion and respect we give in preparation for our coming King? Are we on our best behavior? Do our hearts gleam like polished silver? Have we taken out the trash and scrubbed the toilets? After all, the Lord sees into every corner of our lives. He knows when we sit, when we rise (Psalm 139:2). We cannot mock God and only a fool would try to pull one over on Him (Galatians 6:7). 

    Let me ask you something: what chances do we, as normal people, even have of ever having a notable person visit us? Even Governor DeWine is not likely to sit at my table. The best we can hope for is to see a councilman in a parade, and that's only because he wants our vote. The Creator, Sustainer, Redeemer and Savior of the world desires a relationship with me! This is more than I can ever hope for: So great is the love He has lavished on me that I should be called a child of God (1 John 3:1), daughter of the King of Kings! But, I'm just a sinner from Grand River. How can this be?

    It be because of Jesus. While I was yet a sinner, Christ died for me (Romans 5:8). It's all because of Him and I owe Him my very life in exchange. He has redeemed my life from the pit and crowned me with love and compassion (Psalm 103:4). The least I can do should be my very best!

"When you offer blind animals for sacrifice, is that not wrong? When you sacrifice lame or diseased animals, is that not wrong? Try offering them to your governor! Would he be pleased with you? Would he accept you?' says the Lord Almighty." Malachi 1:8

No comments:

Post a Comment