Saturday, March 28, 2015

Whitewashed Christian

"Because the Jews did not want the bodies left on the crosses during the Sabbath, they asked Pilate to have the legs broken and the bodies taken down."
John 19: 28-37

     Why am I not surprised at this foolishness of the human heart? More concerned with how it will look, these self-righteous, whitewashed tombs did not want the ugliness of what they had done to an innocent man to mar their special Sabbath. They think by sweeping it under the rug they can then proceed with their Passover celebration. They just killed God!

     My own sinfulness convicts me, however. Unless I live each day with my heart wide open before God, led by the Spirit, I easily become a whitewashed Christian who only looks good on the outside. I can attend church, sing hymns and bow my head in prayer, but unless I sincerely repent of my sins and cry in humility for forgiveness at the foot of the cross, then I am only going through foolish motions.

     Oh, Jesus, I don't want to be that way - ever! Cleanse me, discipline and sanctify me, lead me as a Shepherd so that I may sparkle with your radiance.

No comments:

Post a Comment