Saturday, March 21, 2015

Closer Than My Close Friend

"The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything."
Philippians 4: 5 & 6

     "The Lord is near." How close is He? Like a next door neighbor that I could run to in time of need? Like the pastor down the street who could answer all my questions? Like a phone call away, or like my best friend who knows my intimate secrets and my idiosyncrasies?

     The Lord is nearer than even those: he dwells within my heart, nearer than my own breath. I don't have to worry that he is not home, that he won't answer the phone or come to my need. Jesus promised in Revelation 3:20: "If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in..." It is me who must open the door! He calls for me! My phone is the one ringing!

     Lord, each day I must make sure my door is ajar for you. If Satan and sin seep in, darkness and selfishness thus prevail, making my life miserable. I have lived like that and know by experience how empty, cold and lonely life is without you. Whatever I worry about today, sweep it under the rug with this dear reminder that you are so very near. Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment