Thursday, January 29, 2015

Something to Cry About

"Jesus wept."
John 11:35

     My dad was a Christian man, one who was faithful to the Lord and his family. He lived to see his 90th birthday, which is what he'd wanted, and he died November fifth. I have the blessed assurance that he walks with Jesus on streets of gold.

     And so I wonder, at times, why do I mourn? Knowing all that I do - he was old, he had dementia, he was a child of God - it feels wrong to be sorrowful.

     Then God reminded me of the story of Lazarus, the friend of Jesus who died (John chapter 11). Even though the omniscient Jesus knew he would raise Lazarus from the shadow of death, he still mourned for his friend. I love that show of compassion!

     John 11:33 says, "When Jesus saw her weeping, and the Jews who had come along with her also weeping, he was deeply moved in spirit and troubled."

     Death itself is a sad affair. It's not something God intended, for the Bible says, "The wages of sin is death." Ours sins and our brokenness create distance from our Creator but, thanks be to Jesus, he has paid our debt and set us free.

No comments:

Post a Comment