Friday, January 9, 2015

My Relationship with a Squirrel

"Come, all you who are thirsty, come to the waters; and you who have no money, come, buy and eat."
Isaiah 55:1

"For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith - and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God - not by works, so that no one can boast."
Ephesians 2: 8, 9

     I have a love-hate relationship with a squirrel. This pudgy rodent ruined three bird feeders this summer as he gorged on the stolen contents so I spent $25 on a stop-a-squirrel model, thereby harrumphing my human triumph! It's no wonder he doesn't trust me.

     Today, however, I saw him through the Polar Vortex that swirled in my yard. He was shivering in the tree, gazing longingly at that fancy feeder, and I had compassion on him.

     Filling a dish with bird seed, I gently placed it beneath the tree, calling an invitation to him, then went into the house to spy.

     Gradually, one cautious step at a time, he approached the dish, but I noticed he continued to burrow beneath the snow, rooting for food the way in which he was accustomed. It was almost as if he thought the free gift of seed was too good to be true; he had to work for his food. When he finally reached out in faith and took a bite, then he jubilantly filled his empty stomach.

     People are not much different. We can be so dubious and distrusting that we miss out on the free feast from God: release from oppressive sin and death, given to us by Jesus' death and resurrection. We just have to reach out in faith and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment