Saturday, January 10, 2015

Daily Wonderful Deeds

"We give thanks to you, O God, we give thanks, for your Name is near; men tell of your wonderful deeds."
Psalm 75:1

     A friend gave me a lovely, handmade gift; I wrote and mailed a thank you card promptly.

     Like children who write wish lists to Santa and mail them to the North Pole, I'd like to write to God. I know I speak directly to the Ancient of Days while in prayer, but my best expressions are in ink so I write:

     Dearest God, Son Jesus, lover of my soul, Holy Spirit, full of grace and truth: Thank you! Like one of the ten lepers whom Jesus healed, I want to be one who remembers his manners and expresses prompt appreciation.

     As I slumbered in my warm bed, you (who never slumbers) were guarding my portal against all harm and danger. When I woke, electricity provided the time and warmed my home. I gathered slippers and robe, turned the knob with muscle, bone and nerves - all interconnected with a brain, heart and lungs that flawlessly work each day. As I ate breakfast,  I thought about each facet of my digestive system, from tongue and teeth to the muscular esophogus, from acidic stomach to the deep recesses of the mysterious colon. They all work so perfectly in sync that I rarely give the process a thought.

     I look outside to the earth's skirt of wondrous white and it reminds me of the crimson tide which flowed from Jesus' side to cleanse my stain of sin. The sun  has risen by your power. The naked trees rest in wait, knowing you will clothe them again in due time and, in autumn, they'll have another chance to wave their glorious colors. A man went by, walking his dog, a person made in your image with a soul, a being you knew at conception and one you died for at Calvary. Does he even know this? A car drove by and I appreciated the wisdom of invention you have bestowed upon mankind so we may better our situation.

     I heard the ticking of the clock, felt the silent rise and fall of my breath, saw the stoic sun casting long glances across the pristine snow and I was reminded of the passage of time and your being the keeper of it. I cannot add one single moment to my life. Only you know how long my life may be and so my adoration and dedication belong to you, my Rock and my Redeemer.

     Thank you for everything, Lord. I love you.

                                                                                           Sincerely,

                                                                                            Rachel Parsons

No comments:

Post a Comment