Friday, May 16, 2014

The Persecution of Christians

"Be faithful, even to the point of death, and I will give you the crown of life."
Revelation 2:10

     A girl in her mid-teens went to school one April morning in the town of Chibok, Nigeria, unaware that this day would be quite different than the day before. Gun-wielding fighters from an Islamic terrorist group erupted violently into her life and that of her fellow students as more than three hundred girls were kidnapped from their school on April 15, 2014. Most of those seized were Christians, but a news video released by their captors showed them wearing hijabs, chanting Islamic verses and claiming conversion to the Muslim religion.

     I wonder why they converted? Could violent men bearing guns have any influence? What would I have done under the same circumstances? As a young woman with my life ahead of me, would I bow under the persecution, or would I be faithful, even to the point of death?

     I'd like to think I'd be a courageous martyr, like Stephen, whose face lifted to the parting heavens and basked in the glory of the Lord, but the fear of death pushes people to a crossroads. Which road would I choose? After all, it is not far-fetched to think an armed Islamic militant may march into my home one day and force me to kneel in fear.

     Oh Jesus, blessed Redeemer, you withstood death by crucifixtion, humiliation and mockery from your own people. Silent as a lamb, you bore it all, even though legions of angels stood ready to rescue you. Why did you do that? So sinners like me may receive the crown of life. Lend me your courage! May I be fully dressed in the armor of God, armed like a Christian soldier in faith and righteousness! Thank you for being a God of love, never fear! You are the one true God and I love you so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment