Sunday, May 18, 2014

Put Your Sword Away

"A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another."
John 13: 34 & 35

     When Jesus was being arrested in the Garden of Gethsemane, Peter burned with the desire to retaliate so he drew a sword and lopped off the ear of the high priest's servant. But Jesus admonished him to put the sword away, then he healed the afflicted's ear.

     Sometimes, when I read of injustices, I want to draw a sword, bringing swift justice. But Jesus' kingdom is not run that way. If I truly love others as he does, how then can I do them harm? Even as Jesus suffered on the cross, he prayed for his perpetrators.

     I am not drawn to religions that wish to rain havoc on the infidels, rather I want to be a Christian. The love and forgiveness attract me.

No comments:

Post a Comment