Monday, September 3, 2012

He Watches Me

"These people come near to me with their mouth and honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me. Their worship of me is made up only of rules taught by men. Woe to those who go to great depths to hide their plans from the Lord, who do their work in darkness and think, 'Who sees us? Who will know?' Shall what is form say to him who formed it, 'He did not make me'? Can the pot say of the potter, 'He knows nothing'?"
Isaiah 29: 13, 15, 16

Down deep in my core, to the very small seed of my origin, what drives me? What thoughts are formed and dispatched to my mouth? When I worship my Maker, am I only performing? How silly! God made me so he knows my innermost parts. He knit me together in my mother's womb, the Psalmist tells me, and his eye has been upon me as I toddled about in nappy pants. He knows how many hairs are upon my head, he has witnessed my darkest sins and knows whether or not I was truly repentant. I can hide nothing from him; why would I want to?
Boy, I was sure glad he could see me when, as a child, I was lost in a Wyoming forest! Or the time I was in a near fatal accident in Texas, he brought me through unscathed. Or when I was in anaphylactic shock, being rushed to a hospital in Ohio - He saw me through that, too. When I was in a crumpled heap of anguish on my kitchen floor, He picked me up in his everlasting arms and showed me the way. Do I only want him to see me when I am in need?
Just as in a marriage when spouses see one another with uncombed hair and morning breath, my relationship with Jesus is all inclusive. I'm so glad "his eye is on the sparrow, and I know he watches me."

No comments:

Post a Comment