Tuesday, August 20, 2024

The Wisdom to Know the Difference

 "The wise will be put to shame; they will be dismayed and trapped. Since they have rejected the word of the Lord, what kind of wisdom do they have?" Jeremiah 8:9

    While in a waiting room recently, when the talking heads on the television wearied me, I pulled out my phone to learn more about the wisdom of God, which is where the Spirit has been nudging me lately. 

    A search displayed many choices, so I selected one entitled, "The Wisdom of God: What it is and Why it Matters" on a Christian website. 

    Initially, the writer was spot on as she spoke of God, our amazing Creator of heaven and earth, whose complexities can be found in the delicate balances of our ecosystem, the mysteries of gravitational pull and the entire minute world of a single cell. The wisdom of God, she rightfully declared, culminated in the Person of Jesus Christ, quoting from 1 Corinthians 1: 24, 30 and Colossians 2:3. All along, she cited the scriptural references to support her words.

    Then I came to this confusing paragraph: "The universe burst into existence with the Big Bang event, giving rise to particles, atoms, stars, and galaxies over billions of years...Life eventually emerged when suitable conditions were met to support it.*" I wasn't surprised to find no biblical references here. 

    The irony was not lost of me that, in the midst of a teaching on the wisdom of God, ignorance was found. 

    This so unsettled me that I wrote to the author requesting to know from whence her information came. I will await her answer prayerfully.  

   Job asked, "Where can wisdom be found? Where does understanding dwell?" (Job 28:12) The answer came further in the same chapter: "God understands the way to it and He alone knows where it dwells. He said to the human race, 'The fear of the Lord - that is wisdom and to shun evil is understanding.'" (28: 23, 28)

"In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth... He also made the stars." Genesis 1:1, 16

*"The Wisdom of God; What it is and Why it Matters" by Amanda Williams, www.christianwebsite.com

     

No comments:

Post a Comment