Sunday, August 11, 2024

Back to the Basics

 "When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, 'I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.'" John 8:12

    Last Tuesday, the tornado siren went off. Though this was meant to incur protection, it still sent a shiver though Dave and me as we headed for our basement as strong winds buffeted about. We were so thankful to have had no damage, but we did lose power for four days.

    Those four days gave me cause to reflect on the goodness of the Lord. 

    Our street, a main artery for travel, was closed due to downed lines so it added to the feeling of serenity and quiet that a lack of internet and electricity gave to us. The nights were inky black without and within. Because no electronic auras, nightlights or streetlamps cast their shadows, I slept very soundly. "In peace I will lie down and sleep, for you alone, Lord, make me dwell in safety." (Psalm 4:8)

    When necessity called, I got up during the night and proceeded across the bedroom without my flashlight, only to run smack into the wall! Though I thought I knew my way, I needed the light to guide me. "Your word is a lamp for my feet, a light on my path." (Psalm 119:105)

    Neighbors gathered together for the common good, supplying needs in whatever way possible. Debbie came by sharing her peaches and tomatoes. Our perishables didn't perish after all because Tom and Kathy afforded us room in their refrigerator, which ran on a generator. I washed some laundry at the home of my niece while we all played games and enjoyed a lunch. Whatever the need, there was always someone there to supply it. "Love your neighbor as yourself." (Leviticus 19:18)

    Free ice and cases of water were offered at our senior center, as well as a refuge for cooling and charging ones phones. As I drove up to the supply trucks to accept this offer, I thought of the Living Water of Jesus. As He told the Samaritan woman at the well, "Everyone who drinks this water will be thirsty again, but whoever drinks the water I give them will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give them will become in them a spring of water welling up to eternal life." (John 4:13)

    It's interesting to me that when a crisis comes, people get back to the basics as all the frivolous entrapments of life fall to the wayside. We needed water in its frozen form to fill our coolers. Without light, some of us ran into a bedroom wall. A lit match was needed to light the burner of our gas stove. Water, light, fire - all key for survival, all made directly, exclusively by God. 

    When the electricity was restored, we let up a happy holler. As I texted concerned friends and relatives, "We have power," the thought occurred to me that I was never powerless as long as I was attached to the Vine. As Jesus said, "Apart from me, you can do nothing." (John 15:5)

"Power belongs to you, God; and with you, Lord, is unfailing love." Psalm 62:11, 12

    

    

    

     

No comments:

Post a Comment