Saturday, August 17, 2024

Little is Much

 "As Jesus looked up, he saw the rich putting their gifts into the temple treasury. He also saw a poor widow put in two very small copper coins. 'Truly I tell you,' he said, 'this poor widow has put in more than all the others. All these people gave their gifts out of their wealth; but she out of her poverty put in all she had to live on.'" Luke 21: 1-4

    Some generous folks at my church donated gifts towards our Operation Christmas Child collection. We began to gather items early this year so we can host a packing party in November and the donations are piling up. As the coordinator, I can attest to the "showers of blessings" stacked in my basement.

    Because some had donated money, off to Wal Mart I went today to purchase toys. I couldn't think of a more pleasant way to spend a rainy afternoon. 

    Pushing my cart through the toy section, I became distracted by the baby dolls on an upper shelf so I was unaware that my cart blocked the way for an older woman who was riding an electric Rascal-type device. 

    "Oh, so sorry," said I. She kindly reassured me that all was well. I ventured to share my reason for blocking the lane, going on to explain a bit about the toys I was buying.

    "Billy Graham's son, Franklin, has an organization called Samaritan's Purse," I told her. "Since 1997, they have collected shoe boxes filled with personal hygiene items, school supplies and a toy such as this baby doll." She was interested to learn more so I continued, "The real gift, however, is the gospel booklet that is placed in each box, sharing the good news of Jesus with each child. They also provide discipleship classes for those who are interested to know more about this God who loves them."

    Her expression glowed as she asked, "Will you accept a donation from me?" 

    With a full heart I replied, "Certainly!" She rooted about in her purse, pulling out the only cash she had.  Then we selected a doll which she said resembled her granddaughter. After I placed it in my cart, I implored her to please pray for the child who will receive it. Right then and there, at her suggestion, we clasped hands and prayed together.

    We sealed the deal with a hug, just two shoppers who began as strangers and left as friends of Jesus who shared a common purpose: to spread the love of Christ.

    As I said, I can't think of a better way to spend a rainy Saturday afternoon.

"Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you." Luke 6:38

No comments:

Post a Comment