Sunday, November 26, 2023

My Invisible Friend

 "One who has unreliable friends soon comes to ruin, but there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother." Proverbs 18:24

    What characteristics define a friend?

    First of all, a friend should love unconditionally. "Because of his great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy, made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions - it is by grace you have been saved." (Ephesians 2: 4, 5) 

    A friend should be available"I call on the Lord in my distress, and he answers me." (Psalm 120:1)

    A friend should be a good listener. "In the morning, Lord, you hear my voice; in the morning I lay my requests before you and wait expectantly." (Psalm 5:1)

    A true friend should never leave me. "Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the Lord your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you." (Deuteronomy 31:6)

    A friend should know me like the back of his hand. "You have searched me, Lord, and you know me. You know when I sit and when I rise; you perceive my thoughts from afar. You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways." (Psalm 139: 1-3)

    Sometimes, a really good friend can even finish your sentence for you. "Before a word is on my tongue you, Lord, know it completely." (Psalm 139:4)

    A friend should have my back. "So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand." (Isaiah 41:10)

    A friend would take me in, even if my family should reject me. "Though my mother and father forsake me, the Lord will receive me." (Psalm 27:10)

    If bullies surround me, a good friend should come to my aid. "The Lord will march out like a champion, like a warrior he will stir up his zeal; with a shout he will raise the battle cry and will triumph over his enemies." (Isaiah 42:13)

    When I am wrong, I need a friend who has the guts to correct me. "Blessed is the one whom God corrects, so do not despise the discipline of the Almighty." (Job 5:17)

    We are doing very well on this list of traits, but what kind of friend would actually lay down his life to save me? "Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one's life for one's friends." (John 15:13) "The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me." (Galatians 2:20)

    May I now introduce you to Someone who really does possess all of these qualities and more? I hope it doesn't matter to you that He is invisible. No, not make-believe, just invisible (for now, anyway.) His name is Jesus. He is the best friend you or I will ever have. 

    Am I a good friend to Him? 

"Do thy friends despise, forsake thee? Take it to the Lord in prayer;

In his arms he'll take and shield thee, Thou wilt find a solace there." 

- "What a Friend We Have in Jesus"


    

    

No comments:

Post a Comment