Saturday, December 2, 2023

Mirror, Mirror on the Wall

 "Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. Anyone who listens to the word and does not do what it says is like someone who looks at himself in a mirror and, after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like. But whoever looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom and continues in it - not forgetting what they have heard but doing it - they will be blessed in what they do." James 1: 22-25

    Every morning, my routine remains about the same: a quick face wash, apply moisturizer and light makeup and brush the teeth. On the weekends, more intense grooming make be required for which I have a magnified mirror on a flexible arm. One day, upon examination, I was aghast to find something which clearly did not belong. How many people had zeroed in on this long chin hair before I had seen it? Quickly, I employed measures to rid myself of what was unbecoming of me.

    When I read my Bible before work, due to time constraints, it is like a quick glance in the mirror. But when the weekend affords opportunities for deeper reflection, I often find things that do not belong in my life with Christ. 

    Just this week at work, there were two students in need. The first one was upset over the illness of his mother. Seeing him in tears, I treasured the opportunity to talk with him one-on-one, offering to pray for his mom. 

    The second boy's needs did not pull on my heartstrings. His ways were clearly contrary and disrespectful, perhaps due to problems at home, I cannot be sure. But my reaction to him, which I verbalized, was less than Christian and, when my co-worker gently pointed that out to me, I was immediately convicted. 

    Like Peter by the burn barrel, when the denied Christ gazed directly at him, I wanted to weep bitter tears over the way I let my Jesus down. I pray that He who searches my heart will zero in on anything unbecoming of me and my walk with Him, and employ measures to rid me of it. May I reflect Jesus.

"Those who consider themselves religious and yet do not keep a tight rein on their tongues deceive themselves, and their religion is worthless." James 1:26

No comments:

Post a Comment