Wednesday, November 22, 2023

Thank Who?

 "Be glad, people of Zion, rejoice in the Lord your God, for He has given you the autumn rains because He is faithful. He sends you abundant showers, both autumn and spring rains, as before...You will have plenty to eat, until you are full, and you will praise the Name of the Lord your God, who has worked wonders for you." Joel 2: 23, 26

    During my small group Bible study, one of my sisters in Christ made a valid point: People these days don't seem to need the Lord for anything.

    The problem is we have it too well, and we seemingly live just fine independently of God. Needs are met by whipping out the credit card. Freebies and grants are sought and easily obtained from the government. The spigot produces water, we dash to the store for food. Doctors run scans and jot out prescriptions for our healing. The smart phone works our wonders for us; we turn to social media for advice and wisdom. Everything came from nothing, so we've no need of a Creator. All we ever needed is found from within ourselves. Who needs God?

    "Their destiny is destruction, their god is their stomach, and their glory is in their shame. Their mind is on earthly things." (Philippians 3:19)

    Those who live in such a way, whom do they thank on Thanksgiving? 

    When I sit down tomorrow before an array of vittles, may I be satiated by the Bread of Heaven. When I turn on the faucet to fill our glasses, may I, with joy, draw Living Water from the wells of salvation. When happy greetings arrive from loving kin, may I praise their Creator who made them and brought us together as family. When the remains of the meal are washed from plates in sudsy water, may I rejoice in the washing and rebirth purchased for me by the precious blood of Christ. When I turn down the covers at night, may I rest in the peace that passes all understanding, knowing my Heavenly Father watches over me. 

    I've oodles to be thankful for and none of it came from me; I am just the grateful recipient. May giving thanks to God bring happiness to you tomorrow and every day.

"Shout for joy to the Lord; all the earth. Worship the Lord with gladness; come before Him with joyful songs. Know that the Lord is God. It is He who made us, and we are his; we are his people, the sheep of his pasture. Enter his gates with thanksgiving and his courts with praise; give thanks to him and praise his name. For the Lord is good and his love endures forever; his faithfulness continues through all generations." Psalm 100: 1-5

No comments:

Post a Comment