Thursday, July 6, 2023

Making Every Effort

 "And I will make every effort to see that after my departure you will always be able to remember these things." 2 Peter 1:15

    This summer, I was blessed to spend an entire month with my granddaughter, who lives in Houston, Texas, and I made every effort to use the time wisely.

    I was not in pursuit of secular goals, though there was some use of Cocomelon. But, everywhere I could, I allowed the Spirit of Christ to reveal Himself before this dear little one. On my phone, I found Christian children's songs. She especially loved "The B-I-B-L-E" and was still singing it once she returned home. 

    When adding salt to our muffin batter, I couldn't help but speak of our being the salt of the earth (Matthew 5:13). 

    The hardworking ants on the front walk became a lesson in diligence for the work God has given us (Proverbs 30:25). 

    The birds at the feeder opened a delightful path to speak of His divine providence. "Look at the birds of the air," Jesus said. "They do not sow or reap or store away into barns. Yet, your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they?" (Matthew 6:26). 

    At church, she went with me to collect the offering as the congregation heartily sang, "Stand Up! Stand Up for Jesus!" 

    At home, after we said grace, we all raised our hands heavenward and sang, "Amen! Amen!" 

     From the time of her conception, I have prayed for her heart to be fertile ground for the gospel, which is the Good News that Jesus loves her and gave His life for her. He will never leave her nor forsake her, and He will look for her if she becomes lost along the way. 

    I have written my testimony, telling the wondrous things God has done for me so that, after my departure from this world, there will be no doubt about the reason for the hope that Grandma had. 

    I saw this adage on a sundial once: "Do not squander time; it's the stuff life is made of." So true. Lord, help me to make every effort to plant seeds, water them and hoe out the weeds because that's what it takes to produce a crop. 

    Grow, Little Esme!

"These commands that I give you today are to be on your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up." Deuteronomy 6: 6-7

No comments:

Post a Comment