Sunday, July 9, 2023

Faith Under Fire

 "Blessed is the one who perseveres under trial because, having stood the test, that person will receive the crown of life that the Lord has promised to those who love Him." James 1:12

    When a friend of mine rescheduled our luncheon date, that put me in just the right place at the right time to witness incredible faith in action. Here's the story:

    As I drove toward the village in which I grew up, I spied a column of gray smoke ahead, drawing closer as I went along. Aghast, I recognized the childhood home of a friend of mine that was engulfed in fire! My friend's mother still lived there and her sister occupied the house next door. 

    Everything was happening so quickly and unbelievably; the fire department had not yet responded so there was no time to flounder. As I parked my car, I saw the sister running to the neighbor's in great fear for her mother, so I fled there as well. 

    Feeling the searing heat and hearing the crackles of fire brought the reality of the situation to the forefront, but with great relief, I saw before me the mother along with the neighbor, who had rescued her. Though elderly and in poor health, as I knelt beside her, I detected no weakness of character, even as she watched her home being devoured by blazes. 

    With conviction, she declared to me, "I am a Christian."

    "So am I!" was my reply, as I grasped her hands and began to pray. Rising, I turned to her daughter who joined me in prayer as well, invoking God for strength and peace. 

    Later that day, when I returned to the sister's home to check on everyone, she introduced me to her family. Since they were all believers, I felt right at home. In peace and courage, they were all going forward in faith, though the smoldering ruins of Mother's home lay beyond the melted fence. In fact, they were going to celebrate over dinner. Yes, celebrate

    This was a picture of true, tried and tested faith in Christ that had persevered under great trial. The Christian knows that "the Lord is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in Him, and He helps me." (Psalm 28:7) He has promised to never leave us nor forsake us so, when faith is under fire, He is right beside us.

"Those who seek the Lord lack no good thing." Psalm 34:10 

    

No comments:

Post a Comment