Saturday, July 29, 2023

Precisely

 "This is what the Lord says: If you can break my covenant with the day and my covenant with the night, so that the day and night no longer come at their appointed time, then my covenant with David, my servant....can be broken, and David will no longer have a descendant on his throne." Jeremiah 33: 20, 21

    Did the sun rise this morning? The weather app on my phone not only tells me, with precision, that the sun rose at 6:16 a.m., but I was surprised to see times given for the moon's rising and setting. To be honest, I don't think I was aware of these moon times, but it all points to the faithfulness of our God. 

    Of course, we know that the sun doesn't actually "rise" or "set," rather, there is a specific revolution and rotation going on that keeps track of the times and seasons. And that's how it has been since God ordained it when He created everything (Genesis 1:14). 

    Obviously, no human can alter this, and I am glad no one can. What a mess we would have on our hands if that could happen! So, has God been faithful to His promise? Since the days and nights always come at their appointed times like clockwork, has David always had a descendant on his throne?

    After what's known as the four hundred silent years, the period between the old and new testaments, an angel appeared to a young virgin to bear this message: "Do not be afraid, Mary; you have found favor with God. You will conceive and give birth to a son, and you are to call him Jesus. He will be great and will be called the Son of the Most High. The Lord God will give him the throne of his father, David, and He will reign over Jacob's descendants forever; His kingdom will never end." (Luke 1: 30-33)

    In the fullness of time, Jesus came into our world, though some may have doubted that God would keep his promise. But, He always does, faithfully. As surely as I know the sun will set at 8:46 p.m. this day, I know that Jesus will come again, on the clouds of heaven with all his saints and angels, to set up his kingdom that will never end (Mark 14:62). On that I can depend.

"Your love, Lord, reaches to the heavens, your faithfulness to the skies." Psalm 36:5

No comments:

Post a Comment