Monday, August 9, 2021

The Cool Whip Container

 "What shall I return to the Lord for all his goodness to me?" Psalm 116:12

    One rule of etiquette is "Never return a container empty." Having learned this at my mother's knee, I curiously opened a Cool Whip container Someone left on my stoop, knowing I'd have to do some baking in response. However, cookies were not therein; on a bed of straw, there lay the greatest gift of love, a heart-shaped Son who humbled Himself to the death so that I may live. Graciously, I accepted the exquisite gift as I stuffed enough hugs to pop the lid off the container before setting it on the stoop at dusk.

    At break of day, there was the second gift. Lifting the lid brought cacophonous shouts of joy from within: "Do not grieve, for the joy of the Lord is your strength!" (Nehemiah 8:10) Once I recovered, I enclosed a photograph of my parents, who are both at home with Him.

    On the third round, I hesitantly peeled off the lid, (recalling the previous shouts), but was greeted by a barely-there pale-pink puff, soft as a whispery wing. This was the peace that passes all understanding and, in response to that, I gladly returned all my contrary ideals that I'd used as my weapons of war. I'd broken them into bits.

    I couldn't wait for my fourth gift. When I lifted the lid, the irony was not lost on me: Patience stood there with a staying hand upon my shoulder. I took my time returning my offering: a tidy piece of paper listing all my wiser choices once prudence came home to roost.

    The next time I pried the plastic apart, I could hardly believe what I saw. It was the blue toy Jeep my dad had given me years ago "just because." This random act of kindness echoed through the halls of time, prompting me to pay it forward so I opened my fist and let it flow. Freely, freely, I have received; freely, freely I shall give. I tucked a donation receipt into the white vessel with a wistful smile.

    The sixth gift stumped me. Upon opening, a vision emerged of the Garden of Eden, when purity reigned and goodness prevailed, prior to the corrosion of corruption. Overwhelmed by its sheer beauty, my dirty face glanced away, unable to take it in. The filthy rags of my most righteous acts lay pooled 'round my feet as the words of the Psalmist reminded me: "There is no one who does good." (Psalm 14:1) Aware I could never return the container, as I sorrowfully moved to replace the lid, that's when I spied it. There, in the bottom, lay a cloth I had not previously seen. It was the bloodstained robe of Christ, perfectly sized for me! Eagerly, I donned it and began to overcome the evil in my world with good. (Romans 12:21) Knowing I dare not boast, I humbly retrieved one of my filthy rags and returned it to Him in the container.

    When the seventh gift arrived, I had just begun to grow weary doing good, so I caught my breath and plopped down to open it. There lay a small, wooden music box which I promptly wound. Closing my eyes, strains of "Great is Thy Faithfulness" grabbed my hand and led me down well-worn pathways where the Good Shepherd doggedly led mankind in faith and justice. In answer, I sent a small American flag, along with a copy of the Pledge of Allegiance to the Christian Flag, vowing to follow Him alone.

    Gift eight was a diminutive oxen yoke. Remembering Christ's words in Matthew 11:29, I shared my burdens with my gentle Savior, learning how to humbly put myself last, checking my pride at His door. Instantly, my yoke became easy, my burden became light.  A butterfly wing on a cottony pillow made its trip to heaven as my reply. There is great strength in gentleness.

    By now, I knew one gift remained and it took all my self-control to await its arrival. Weeks passed and still it didn't come. Then the Spirit caused me to see that, in the absence of it, I was actually receiving and practicing the gift, patiently abiding in His grace as I await The Day. 

    When the heavens roll back like a scroll and my faith becomes sight, I shall see Him face-to-face. What then? When I approach the throne, wondering what He'll say, perhaps I will see the empty Cool Whip container at His pierced feet before accepting His extended hand welcoming me home. 

"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things, there is no law." Galatians 5:22

No comments:

Post a Comment