Sunday, December 28, 2014

Who Died For You?

"My brothers, some from Chloe's household have informed me that there are quarrels among you. What I mean is this: One of you says, 'I follow Paul'; another, 'I follow Apollos'; another, 'I follow Cephas'; still another, 'I follow Christ.' Is Christ divided? Was Paul crucified for you? Were you baptized into the name of Paul?"
1 Corinthians 1: 11-13

     In order to test my allegiance, the question should always be, "Rachel, who died for you?" If I am following any other ideal other than that of Christ, I'm heading in the wrong direction.

     Recently, a co-worker asked me if I wanted to wear a Santa hat to promote festivity. I said, "No, I do not believe in Santa Claus." What did that legend do for me? Did he sacrifice his life for me?  I realize this is an extreme comparison, but it matters.

     Satan smoothly slips those seemingly innoculous diversions into our lives for a reason. By wearing a Santa hat, do I not promote myself as a follower of a toymaker who resides at the North Pole? How ridiculous is that?

     December 25th marks the day that we celebrate Jesus' birth. The Messiah that will crush the head of the Serpent was sent by God to release the prisoner and mend the hearts of those broken by Satan. Of course, Satan does not want the focus of the holiday to be on this Victor, so he forms diversions.

     December 25th is not Hannukah, not Kwanzaa, not a compilation of Halloween, Thanksgiving and New Year's Day. Christ was born to us on that day.

     Christians, stand up and clearly declare, "Jesus, our Savior, was born in Bethlehem." Celebrate peace on earth and goodwill to men. Swear your allegiance to the One who sacrificed his life for you, one in whose name you have been baptized and cleansed by his blood. There is no other name to trust, no other who rose from the grave and who will come again on the clouds of heaven surrounded by the saints and angels.

     Hallelujah! Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment