Tuesday, December 2, 2014

What's the Use?

"Yet when I surveyed all that my hands had done and what I had toiled to achieve, everything was meaningless, a chasing after the wind; nothing was gained under the sun...I know that everything God does will endure forever."
Ecclesiastes 2:11, 3:14

"Unless the Lord builds the house, its builders labor in vain."
Psalm 127:1

     What do I do with my hands? It would be less easier to list what I do NOT do with my hands! They are a blur of activity all day long! I make the bed, brush the teeth, prepare the meal, drive the car, run the vacuum. I would be unable to keep my job if I lost the use of my hands.

     But what am I really accomplishing that has lasting value? Tomorrow, the bed needs to be made again, the teeth need cleaning, more meals are demanded. What's the use?

     It's only when I weave my heart and soul into these daily activities that they take on an eternal glow. I can thank the good Lord that I have a bed, some teeth, a car, a job. Interaction with my co-workers, when rooted in love, can have lasting impact for the kingdom of God. Only then will the mundane become an investment.

     Let the Lord build your house and the foundation will be strong, the windows will gleam and you will find meaning in your days.

No comments:

Post a Comment