Saturday, November 8, 2014

What Is Truth?

"Do you believe this?"
John 11:26

     A woman named Martha was mourning after the death of her brother, Lazarus. In an act of comfort, her friend Jesus spoke these words to her: "I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me will live, even though he dies; and whoever lives and believes in me will never die..." Picture his earnest gaze upon her troubled face as he finished, "Do you believe this?"

     My father died this week. Long ago, when he returned from the service in World War Two, he was asked this same question, Do you believe this? Stepping out in faith, he placed his hand into the unseen hand of the Savior and began his walk with the Lord. Raising four daughters in the admonition of the Lord, he also taught Sunday School and led Bible studies in his home, all the while remaining certain of what he did not see: eternal life in Jesus Christ. As his body and mind gave way to the affects of age, his soul remained sealed by the Holy Spirit, anxiously waiting to see the whole picture, in living color, in real life. As he lay close to death in that drab, colorless room at the nursing home, he may have wondered: Is it going to be true? Are there streets of pure gold past the pearly gates leading to a mansion prepared just for me? Will I see this Jesus, my Redeemer, personally greet me with the words, "Well done, good and faithful servant?" Will all I placed my hope and trust in be real?

     Yes! Today, he sees in whole, not in part. He walks without trouble in wholeness and truth, exploring life the way God intended it to be, without reservations, hesitations or guilt and shame. He's dining at the table of the Lord and listening to a symphony of angelic voices.

     Praise be to God for telling us the truth. Do you believe this?

No comments:

Post a Comment