Friday, November 14, 2014

Love Personified in Mary

"Be devoted to one another in brotherly love. Honor one another above yourselves."
Romans 12:10

     As my father lay drawing his last breaths, I leaned close to his ear and tearfully whispered, "I'll see you later, Papa." I had to leave the room as a wave of sorrow overcame me. Entering the hall of the nursing home, there I met Love, personified in a woman named Mary. With sincerity, she beckoned me over to her wheelchair and gave me the warmest hug. Murmuring words of compassion, I felt the love of Christ wash over my broken spirit, and I was comforted.

     From what I obeserved, Mary has lived there for some time. She seems to struggle with a host of medical problems yet she cast her personal worries aside and devoted herself to me for that moment in time, just when I needed it the most. Like the widow in the Bible who offered her last two coins, she gave what she could to me, and I treasured it.

     Love is the cornerstone of the Christian belief. Without love, we are just clanging cymbals, but when we reach out to others, mountains crumble into the sea and hope shines on our paths.

     After my dad's funeral, I took a bouquet of flowers to Mary. This time, it was she who was comforted. I have made a new friend!

No comments:

Post a Comment