Saturday, February 15, 2014

The Storms of Life

"Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever."
Hebrews 13:8

     I never know what a day will bring. Any number of disasters could befall me at any time. A phone call may herald bad news. A tree could fall on my house while I sleep. A drunk driver could target one of my children. A cancer could be forming in my body as I speak. I could lose my job or all my investments.

     Is there a sure foundation anywhere? Thank God I have found it in Jesus Christ.

     When I was a kid in Sunday School, we'd sing about the man who built his house upon the sand. When the floods came, his house fell flat. Verse two spoke of the wise man who built his house upon the Rock. When the rains came and the torrents threatened, his house remained.

     It rained on both men. We all know bad things happen to everyone, but the one who lives by faith will know that God'll take care of us.

     There was a man named Job who was very wealthy and possessed great integrity. When calamity visited him, he was able to hold on to that integrity because he had faith in God. I can picture him, rising above the ashes of his losses, looking to heaven and proclaiming with gusto:

     "I know that my Redeemer lives and that in the end, he will stand upon the earth." Job 19:25

     Thank you, Jesus, for being my ever-present, unchanging anchor that holds fast during the storms of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment