Monday, January 20, 2014

Claim to be Christian

"If we claim to have fellowship with him, yet walk in the darkness, we lie and do not live by the truth." 1 John 1:6

"If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us." 1 John 1:8

"If we claim we have not sinned, we make him out to be a liar and his word has no place in our lives."  1 John 1:10

"The man who says, 'I know him' but does not do what he commands is a liar, and the truth is not in him." 1 John 2:4

"Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus did." l John 2:6

"Anyone who claims to be in the light but hates his brother is still in the darkness." 1 John 2:9

"If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him." 1 John 2:15

     I claim to be a Christian. Does this mean that I am perfect, that I never sin?  Does it mean that I can sin all I want because Jesus died to pay for it? Not at all!

     First of all, I must recognize that I am a sinner in need of saving. I confess all my sins, then I follow in Jesus' steps. What does that entail? Jesus was committed to the will of the Father. He steadfastly stood for what he knew was right. He went off in solitude to pray. He memorized Scripture and used it to combat the devil. He loved others with compassion and forgiveness. He did not embrace the desires of this world, rather he was humble in Spirit.

     Do you want to live forever? 1 John 2:17 tells how: "The world and its desires pass away, but the man who does the will of God lives forever."

No comments:

Post a Comment