Saturday, September 28, 2013

What Will Your Obituary Say?

"Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice. Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you."
Ephesians 4: 29, 31 & 32

     These verses are so important, especially for parents.

     I recently read about a very bald, startling obituary that was written by an abusive woman's children. They were celebrating her passing, hoping she receives everything done to her as she'd dished out to them. Had this woman been a child of God and used the above verses when raising her children, she would not have borne decades worth of bitterness, rage and malice.

     Although the obituary was painfully honest, I can only hope it makes others think before they speak and act. What we say and do has lasting impact. Are we building up or tearing down? What legacy are we leaving behind?

     I've heard it said the dash between the dates on one's tombstone represent alot! I wonder, if my family were to write a truthful obituary about me before I died, would I want to read it?

     I wonder.

No comments:

Post a Comment