Monday, June 24, 2013

How to Sleep Like a Baby

"My son, preserve sound judgment and discernment, do not let them out of your sight; they will be life for you...When you lie down, you will not be afraid, your sleep will be sweet."
Proverbs 3: 21, 24

     When a furious squall arose on the lake and swamped the disciples' boat, "Jesus was in the stern, sleeping on a cushion." (Mark 4:38) They shook him awake saying, "Teacher, don't you care if we drown?" They may have been wondering how anyone could sleep through such a bad storm.
     When my youngest daughter was almost a year old, we took her to her first fireworks on the Fourth of July. She slept through the whole thing! Amazed, I wondered why she could not hear the noise but slumbered sweetly, unconcerned.
     What is the key to getting a good night's rest?
     After Jesus stilled the storm, he said, "Why are you so afraid? Do you still have no faith?" (Mark 4:40)  Jesus says we have the same faith and peace available to us that he has. When storms of life prevail, I can be asleep in the stern on a cushion if only I have faith.
     "Faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see." (Hebrews 11:1) Just like the baby at the fireworks, I can be sure that my Heavenly Father cradles me in his arms, stroking my hair and whispering, "Fear not. You are worth more than many sparrows."
     Sleep sweetly, precious child of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment