Monday, June 17, 2013

Abide With Me

"Anyone who runs ahead and does not continue in the teaching of Christ does not have God; whoever continues in the teaching has both the Father and the Son."
2 John 9

     When I was in the third grade, our family went on a vacation out west. We were hiking in the mountains around Jenny Lake when the family paused on the trail. Confident that I knew the way, I ran ahead and became horribly lost. For hours, I wandered alone, fearful of the lions, tigers and bears I knew were lurking in the dark woods. The sweet reunion with my parents remains fresh on my mind. 
     In my Christian walk, I must keep pace with my Savior, abiding with him. I should not go off to the left or right, nor lag behind, but I should also be wary of becoming a know-it-all, thinking I know the way. If I take my focus off Him, that's when I become horribly lost.

I recall the words of this hymn, one of my favorites:

"Abide with me, fast falls the eventide;
The darkness deepens, Lord, with me abide.
When other helpers fail and comforts flee,
Help of the helpless, oh, abide with me!"

No comments:

Post a Comment