Saturday, April 27, 2013

Give Thanks for Dementia?

"Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus."
1 Thessalonians 5: 16-18

     Seems easy enough when I read it, but when life is rolling along and I'm riding a wave of stress, responsibility and strife, how can I always be joyful?
     One of the things I am struggling with currently is my father's state of dementia. It makes me incredibly sad to be losing him in increments, to witness his confusion, to have him not recognize his wife of 61 years. Yet, I feel the Lord gently leading me along this road I do not want to travel. He reminds me that my father is a child of His and, hand in hand, He will lead him home where there will be no old age, no more sorrow, no fragmented minds. With joy and thanksgiving, I remember my dad's faith in God as he said grace at the head of the table. How it was his personal mission to make people laugh with silly jokes or by wearing his glasses upside down. I recall the halloween costumes he created or the science fair projects he helped us with. With joy, I thank the Lord that my dad has been of sound mind his entire life, making godly judgments, leading our family with a kind heart and a soft voice.
     As my family experiences this disease together, we are meeting others along the way who are going through the same thing. This brings an opportunity to share our faith, to offer to pray for them, to show them that we truly can be thankful in all circumstances.  Life is not easy for anyone, but we really do have so much that brings us joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment