Saturday, November 24, 2012

Sweet Compassion

"You will again have compassion on us; you will tread our sins underfoot and hurl all our iniquities into the depths of the sea."
Micah 7:19

When I flip back into the seedy pages of my personal history, I don't like to read the parts where I hurt someone, lied about something, said savage things or made a loved one cry. I'd rather dwell on the one paragraph where I helped at a soup kitchen or donated money to a charity. So, when I read the verse above, my heart is jubilant and I smile broadly knowing that all the ugliness is tied into a haversack and thrown away for good: sunken, forgotten, hurled into the fathomless depths!
As a Christian, I am called to be Christ-like. Do I extend this same measure of compassion to those who've hurt me? Until I forgive others, I am not forgiven. If I so love this erasure of my sins, why would I withhold it from my fellow humans?
"With the measure you use, it will be measured to you." Matthew 7:2

No comments:

Post a Comment