Thursday, May 2, 2024

Bend the Knee

 "If anyone is ashamed of me and my words, the Son of Man will be ashamed of him when He comes in His glory and in the glory of the Father and of the holy angels." Luke 9:26

    Beneath the brilliant sky of blue, my husband and I attended a track meet to see my sister's grandson compete. As we approached the field, it was easy to spot Mason, tall and blonde. Finding a vantage spot on the fence line opposite the pole vault area, we enjoyed the sunshine watching students from many local school districts competing. 

    Time and again, this student and that one did their best to vault above the bar until finally I saw Mason grasp his pole. I was excited to see how he'd do, but it was what he did prior to his athletic attempt that both thrilled and humbled me.

    He bent on one knee and bowed his head to God in prayer.

    There, in the center of a busy field of activity, time seemed to stop as I saw this young man of fourteen humble himself before his Savior. 

    It caused me to ask how many times have I paused to pray in public areas? Or am I prone to go along with the crowd, not wanting to call attention to Jesus by my actions?

    Though Mason's way was not pharisaical in any way, he introduced Jesus to others who may not know Him by putting his faith into action.

    Whether he won the competition or not became secondary to the victory he claimed on bended knee in an athletic field. He is a winner.

"Therefore God exalted him to the highest place and gave him the name that is above every name, that at the name of Jesus, every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father." Philippians 2: 9-11 

No comments:

Post a Comment